Monday, October 17, 2011

Mr. Stripey's Green Tomato Pie

Well, once again, none of our tomatoes ripened on the vine. We're not sure what to make of this phenomenon and we're open to suggestions. It turns out that while our thumbs are not green, our tomatoes remain stubbornly so.
Two years ago, we made fried green tomatoes (mostly because we liked Fannie Flagg's book, but also because we didn't know what else to do with our entirely green crop). I thought they were tasty, but Molly didn't like them.
This year we planted Mr. Stripeys Tomatoes, because we found the name charming. They grew fat on the vine but they never turned red. Probably another Ginger conspiracy.
Yesterday, Molly took matters into her own hands and whipped up this beauty -- A Green Tomato Pie.
Fresh out of the oven!

Looks like apple pie, and tastes like it too. (Kind of. I just wrote that so I wouldn't hurt Molly's feelings. I think Green Tomato Pie tastes as much like apple pie as frog legs taste like chicken. Not so much. But it is a beautiful pie.)


Green Tomato Pie

Filling:

2 cups chopped green tomatoes (make sure you scoop out the insides including seeds, so it's not too watery)
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter

1. Preheat oven to 375
2. mix cinnamon sugar flour and butter, in a separate bowl.
3. pour over green tomatoes
4. mix until everything is coated
5. pour ingredients into a pie crust and spread everything evenly
6. cover with other crust and bake for 40-50 minutes

Crust:

1/2 cup shortening
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cold water

1. Mix all ingredients until doughy and thick, add water or flour as needed.
2. sprinkle flour on a cutting board
3. Rolled out dough (i used my hands, but a rolling pin is probably easier)
4. Carefully lay dough into a greased pie pan
*don't handle the dough too much

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait for delicious home cooked meals when I come home this weekend! Kenzie posted a link on my facebook wall you two might be interested in... I know how much you two love avocados (especially Molly)

    http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/slideshows/2011/08/16-ways-to-use-an-avocado-slideshow#slide=1


    -Vinnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I planted Mr. Stripey this year also, partly because I liked the name and partly because it was a bedraggled plant that was cheap at half the price on an end of season sale. None of the little Stripey babies ever ripened. I thought it was just me. So I feel a tiny bit of schadenfreude. :) The pie looks intriguing, as well as the blog. Good luck Molly and Laura!

    ReplyDelete